What is this device used in Elizabeth Bishop’s “Over 2,000 Illustrations”?


In her “Over 2,000 Illustrations and a Complete Concordance”, Elizabeth Bishop puts together brief descriptions of many different images/scenes, without expressing too much personal feeling on each of them. What is this device called? Is it accumulation?

I know it’s probably a strange question, we do have a word for this kind of writing technique in Chinese, called “白描”, if you’re interested (I’m a Chinese student). Or does anyone know the translation for this word in English?

Answered question

It is the just of juxtaposition. Your term may be equal to collage or baroque.

Answered question